Friday, July 18, 2014

Plantain and Egg Breakfast

Plantains and Eggs
When I was in El Salvador, I loved the typical breakfast; fried plantains, eggs, cream, beans and a bit of cheese. Fried plantains have been a favorite of mine ever since.

I made the plantains yesterday thinking that the kids would eat them up. I was wrong. They took half a bite, got that look kids get when their tastebuds reject what they've put in their mouth, and told me apologetically they didn't like it. Poor little sugar bugs, their taste buds must be really messed up if these weren't sweet enough for them.

Luckily my plantains re-heated perfectly in the oven for this meal. I was pretty skeptical when I pulled them out of the fridge but 10 minutes baking in the oven at 400 did the trick!

Ingredients:
  • fried plantains (recipe to come)
  • 2 pasture raised eggs
  • 1/2 and avocado
  • 1 - 2 TBS coconut oil or ghee
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • avocado oil (optional)
Directions:
  1. While your plantains are re-heating in the oven, cook your eggs as you like them in a pan with coconut oil or ghee. I love fried eggs, I break the holds and let the runny goodness flow forth. 
  2. Remove you plantains from the oven. Place a heap of them on your plate. I you are like me you will want to put your eggs on top of the plantains so that the yolk will run all over them. If you are a scrambled egg type of person and don't like your food to touch, you can just put them next to each other on your plate. 
  3. Add your slice avocado and sprinkle the whole meal with salt and pepper to your liking. If you want you can drizzle some avocado or olive oil on your avocado. Squeezing some lemon on it would be a good option too. 


No comments:

Post a Comment