Saturday, June 28, 2014

What I'm Reading - Eat the Yolks

This month I am reading "Eat the Yolks" by Liz Wolfe, NTP. As I'm making the shift to "Paleo" I don't think I could have found a better book to be reading. One of my biggest issues with Paleo is the whole Paleo stereotype. The images of cavemen and the extreme view points of about the "diet" don't work for me. I don't buy into the "diet", Paleo isn't a diet. It is a choice to eat real food, not concoctions cooked up in a lab being marketed as food. Someone decided to call it Paleo and it stuck. 


http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Yolks-Liz-Wolfe/dp/1628600195


"Eat the Yolks" is about real food. Liz does a great job of breaking down technical biology and science and presents it in a plain, easy to understand, sometimes funny English. I stopped buying into the myths we are fed about food years ago. "Eat the Yolks" is opening my eyes not just deeper into those negative myths but also enlightening me with the benefits of those same foods we have been told are so bad like cholesterol and fat. 

I had no idea how important cholesterol is to our bodies. I was really surprised to learn that high cholesterol is associated with higher rates of survival than low cholesterol in heart failure patients. I've never known anything about low cholesterol except that it was "good". I'm not buying that anymore, thanks Liz!

The book isn't about Paleo. It's the groundwork for understanding real food and overcoming the lies we have come to believe as truth. I had no idea how many food lies I was still buying into. 

No comments:

Post a Comment