Sunday, June 29, 2014

Plantain Tortillas by Zenbelly

Plantain Tortillas - recipe by Zenbelly

I am more impressed by these plantain tortillas by Zenbelly than I originally thought I was. I made them for the first time yesterday as part of my banana recipe weekend. My initial thoughts were: these are a lot of work and they taste like banana. But... they would probably be really great with carnitas.

I didn't finish making the full batch, it was such a slow process. I was really thinking this would be the first, and the last time I made these tortillas. My husband is out of town this weekend so last night I pulled out the remainder of my Nom Nom Paleo Roast Beast for dinner. I grabbed the tortillas, lettuce, avocado and Paleo mayonnaise (also Nom Nom).
The Roast Beast and mayonnaise recipes I used are from the cookbook "Nom Nom Paleo, Food for Humans", I didn't see them on the website.

This morning I pulled the tortillas out again and ate them with chicken apple sausage. By this point I'm regretting that I didn't make the full batch. I'm planning on making carnitas for my husband tonight and to use these tortillas, but at this rate I won't have enough left!

I will be making plantain tortillas again. Next time I will make the full batch because clearly with the right meal I like them.

Taste:
These plantain tortillas have a very distinct taste. They taste like banana. I wouldn't use them to wrap everything, but I can definitely think of instances where the plantain taste can enhance an overall recipe. I'm thinking carnitas here! I'll let you know how that turns out.

Texture:
The texture of these plantain tortillas is great! They really are very traditional tortilla like. They fold and they roll without breaking or cracking.  They look like traditional corn tortillas as well.

Process:
  • Mixing the ingredients up is easy, throw it all in the food processor and there you go! 
  • Zenbelly suggests using a ladle and wet fingers to spread out the tortillas. I found using plastic spatula much easier and less messy. 
  • I only managed to get 3 tortillas on each tray. 
  • My tortillas are about 4.5" each and I could have easily made at least 21 with the amount of batter I had following the recipe. 
  • Make sure not to let the edges of the tortillas get to thin. They will start to burn before the rest of the tortilla is cooked. 
  • When you make these, think street tacos - small, slightly thicker tortillas. 
  • The tortillas re-heat well. I have been warming them on the stove in a dry pan on low heat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment