Monday, June 30, 2014

Banana Rama Roundup

      Yellow Plantains                Black Plantains                      Bananas

Over the weekend I went banana crazy. I have been meaning to make banana bread for the kids and finally I have perfect bananas. Nom Nom Paleo's Plantain Fritters look scrumptious and I read somewhere about plantain tortillas.
plantain fritters are in nom nom paleo, food for humans cookbook.

plantain fritters
First up, Plantain Fritters! I was super excited about these. They weren't hard to make. I don't think I messed mine up but I didn't love them.

Mine did puff up a bit, but not as much as the picture in the cookbook. Michelle (Nom Nom Paleo) does say in the cookbook "overwork it, and you'll end up with a tray of dense, gummy pucks." That does sound a little like what I got...

I didn't love the flavor of the fritters so I probably won't attempt them again, but I was inspired with a fritter idea of my own that I hope to try out soon!


plantain tortillas
Next up, plantain tortillas from Zenbelly. I was intrigued by these. How could they possibly work? What in the world would hold them together?

I guess the plantain is starchy enough to work some magic because these tortillas do hold together, fold and roll just like Zenbelly says they will.

I was so surprised by these, for a few reasons that they got their own post  - read it here along with my notes on the process of making them, their texture and their taste.

Last monkey mess for the day, Banana Bread by Slim Palate.  My kids declared this bread is, "delicious!!!" I love it when this happens. It's not very often I can feel good about the food they eat. They are my stepchildren which means I don't have much control over their S.A.D. diet and trust me it is so sad it hurts. Their dad and I didn't love the banana bread, but I will continue to make it for the kids.

3 kids polished of the whole loaf in one afternoon!

A friend of mine also tried this recipe, she called what she ended up with banana porridge. I took Joshua's advice and used Bob's Red Mill Coconut flour. I opted to use 2 bananas not 3, and only 1/4 cup honey. I also let the batter sit for 15 minutes to let the flour start to absorb the liquid before I put it in to oven (something I learned from a Paleo cookie recipe). It seems to have worked because I have a loaf of bread, no runny mess.


No comments:

Post a Comment