Thursday, June 19, 2014

Green Smoothie Recipe

Last April my friend Anjanette from My Nulif Studio in San Carlos, CA introduced me to green smoothies. I've been drinking them almost daily ever since. I've tweaked my recipe quite a few times and mine is totally different from Anjanette's. Green Smoothies are pretty much anything goes. there isn't a "right" way to make them or a best green smoothie recipe. It's all up to you and your taste buds. 



The first few times you make a batch of green smoothies it seems like quite a chore. Don't quit, you will find your rhythm! I hardly even make a mess anymore, I've got a system that's fast and efficient. The ingredients about will make four 16 oz green smoothies.

Ingredients (pictured above)
  • 2 ripe bananas
  • 2 green apples
  • 1 lemon, juice only
  • 1 1" piece of ginger
  • 1 golden beet
  • 1 bunch of dinosaur kale
  • 2 cucumbers
  • half a bunch of flat leaf parsley
  • 2 cups water
Step 1
Lay out all your ingredients

Step 2
Wash all your fruits and veggies. I fill a large bowl with water and put a colander in the sink. I wash everything in the water then put in in the colander. 

Step 3 
Peel the beet and cut it in quarters, remove the ends from the cucumbers and slice them in to 1 inch chunks, peel the ginger, remove the ends from the kale, slice the apple off the core, remove the ends from the parsley, juice your lemon, peel the bananas and break them in half. 

I put each item in the blender as I go. Add the water and blend each time you add 2-3 ingredients. It doesn't matter what goes in the blender first. Tear the kale or add it one piece at a time while the blender is running. 

I also empty my bowl of water and throw all the ends, cores, and stems into the bowl (my chicken loves the days I make green smoothies!). Keeping all the mess contained helps clean up time at the end. 

Note:
I have a Vitamix blender. If you don't have a high power blender you might need to cut your veggies smaller to blend and divide the ingredients into 2 batches. 


A version of this recipe originally appeared in the January 2014 issue of StepMom Magazine


No comments:

Post a Comment