Thursday, June 12, 2014

Portobello Mushroom Paleo Buns

Portobello Mushroom Paleo Buns
Portobello Mushroom Paleo Buns

Portobello Mushroom Buns! Brilliant!!! For years I've been trying to wrap my burgers in lettuce only succeeding to make a slightly smaller mess of myself than if I'd just squeezed ketchup and mustard in my hand then added lettuce, tomato and the burger.

I did not come up with this idea on my own. I saw it on Pinterest and then on every Paleo blog out there. There are quite a few variations on the Portobello Bun. You could get really fancy, but I like to keep things simple. I also use these buns as sandwich bread so I usually make 3 buns (6 mushrooms) at a time. I can also cut them up and quickly add them to omelets or a salad.

Ingredients:
  • Oil
  • Salt
  • Portobella Mushrooms (at least 2)
Directions:
  1. Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees 
  2. Clean your mushrooms and remove it's stem and gills.
  3. Rub your mushrooms with about a teaspoon of oil. Sprinkle them generously with salt.
  4. Place them on a baking tray gill side down and cook for about 10 minutes. Flip the mushrooms over and cook for another 7 minutes. (Thicker mushrooms may need to cook longer.)
  5. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
Don't forget your napkins. The buns still aren't as absorbent as a bread bun but they are much more satisfying than a lettuce wrap! To avoid mess, consider dipping your burger in your condiments instead of putting them on your "buns".


No comments:

Post a Comment