Thursday, July 3, 2014

Crock Pot Carnitas

Crock Pot Carnitas on Plantain Tortillas with shredded
cabbage, cilantro, avocado and paleo mayonnaise 

I almost followed a recipe from Slim Palate when I made these carnitas. I printed it out, I bought the ingredients and I cut up the pork... Then I sorta decided I knew better. Or more accurately, I finally read the whole recipe and realized it was for some kind of crispy carnitas. I've never heard of that. I like my carnitas wet and full of flavor.

These carnitas and the plantain tortillas got the seal of approval from my husband. The kids LOVED the carnitas but they were to wary to stray from their flour tortilla and try one made of "bananas?!?!" Too weird for them.

Ingredients:
  • 3 pounds boneless pork shoulder butt roast, cut into 3 or so inch chunks. Don't worry about being exact. Mine were chunks were super messy and not uniform at all!
  • 5 cloves chopped garlic
  • 2 tsp chili powder (I used New Mexican style)
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup squeezed lime juice
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 1 stick of cinnamon
  • water
Directions:
  1. Get your crock pot ready, turn it to high
  2. Mix up the chili powder, cumin and salt. Rub it all over your chunks of meat.
  3. Throw your meat in the crock pot. Add the chopped garlic, bay leaves, cinnamon stick, and lime juice. 
  4. Pour enough water over the meat to just barely cover it. 
  5. Let the meat cook for 4 hours. 
  6. Move the meat to a big bowl using a big slotted/straining spoon. Use forks to shred your pork. DON'T get rid of the juice. Leave it right there in the crock pot. 
  7. Remove the cinnamon stick and bay leaves from the crock pot and throw them away. 
  8. Return the meat to the crock pot. Leave the crock pot open and continue to cook for another 30 minutes. I like to pick out any really big chunks of fat during this time. 
  9. Turn your crock pot off and use your slotted/straining spoon to remove the meat from the pot again. Let the excess juices strain off the meat and move it to your serving dish. 
Serve with your favorite taco condiments! 

No comments:

Post a Comment